Most often than not, you always order a pizza more frequently than we expect. It is the most predominant take-out food in the U.S. But how about when you have braces? Can you eat pizza while on braces?
This question always pops up in teens, parents, and adults who have braces in their older years. Pizza is the favorite pastime of American families while watching the games, over a dinner table, and at other gatherings.
So, can you eat pizza with braces? Yes, you can: But with some restrictions and unwritten rules.
Here are some tips and tricks that guide you in eating pizza with braces.
- 1 So, Is Pizza Still Okay To Eat When You Have Braces?
- 2 What Type of Pizza Can I Eat With Braces?
- 3 Dangers of Eating Pizza with Braces
- 4 How to Eat Pizza With Braces?
- 5 Which Types of Pizzas Should You Avoid With Braces?
- 6 Pizza Eating Tips When You Have Braces
- 7 Foods You Can Still Eat With Braces
- 8 Foods You Should Avoid
- 9 FAQ’s
- 9.1 1. Is eating pizza in the first week of my braces acceptable?
- 9.2 2. Does pizza harm and break my braces?
- 9.3 3. Does pizza get stuck in your braces?
- 9.4 4. How to fix pizza on braces?
- 9.5 5. Can you eat pizza rolls with braces?
- 9.6 6. Can you eat pepperoni pizza with braces?
- 9.7 7. Can you eat Domino’s pizza with braces?
- 9.8 8. Can you eat frozen pizza with braces?
- 9.9 9. Can you eat Totino’s pizza with braces?
- 9.10 10. Can you eat thin crust pizza with braces?
- 9.11 11. Can you eat chips with braces?
- 9.12 12. Can you eat fries with braces?
- 9.13 13. Can you eat burgers with braces?
- 10 Conclusion
So, Is Pizza Still Okay To Eat When You Have Braces?
Yes, you can eat pizza with braces. It is alright to eat pizza even if you have braces, but you have to be picky: it has to be a type of pizza! Read more!
What Type of Pizza Can I Eat With Braces?
A pizza with a soft crust is perfect! You see, when eating pizza with a tough crust may damage your braces when the crumbs stick in-between the wires. Also, go with toppings in small pieces to prevent them from being stuck between the brackets and your teeth. In this case, a homemade pizza is ideal. You can prepare your pizza and select the toppings and condiments most appropriate for your braces.
Eat a pizza with small chunks of toppings like veggies (mushroom) or slices of soft Pepperoni or bacon (not overcooked). Avoid crunchy thin crusts because they tend to stick to the braces.
Dangers of Eating Pizza with Braces
Braces are metal, most commonly titanium alloy, combined with nickel, chromium, or both. Chromium-nickel-cobalt is also widespread. Consider the elements of pizza (like toppings, cheese, and crust) and the risks it may take when you have braces.
Eating pizza with a crispy crust may lead to problems with braces: You could end up with loose brackets, bent wires, or stuck food particles into the supports. You may increase the risk of having tooth decay & gingivitis once the food flecks remain stuck between the metal and your teeth.
How to Eat Pizza With Braces?
Yes, there are risks and dangers in eating pizza if you have braces. But there are several ways to avoid these hazards. Here are some guidelines on how to eat pizza with braces.
1. Make the slices small
Grab a fork and a knife and slice the pizza into smaller pieces.
2. Biting and chewing slowly
Bite the small pieces and chew them slowly. This way, you can savor the taste while not harming your braces and hurting your gums. But do not do it in a rush. Take your time and eat the pizza bit by bit. You might end up with broken braces if you do the chewing fast.
3. Soft bread
Pick a thin and softer crust, like bread, instead of a crispy and crunchy doughy layer. Thick and hard pie crust is hard to chew.
4. Be aware of topping or ingredients
If you are ordering a pizza, ensure it is non-sticky but soft and braces-friendly. You should know firsthand the ingredients of the toppings. Some of the favorite toppings for braces are chicken slices, boiled vegetables, and crumbled bacon.
5. Homemade pizza
If you are making homemade pizza: a deep-dish pizza might be safer for your braces. You will surely know what’s in it and prepare the necessary sizes and texture of the toppings.
6. Low acidic condiments
Braces have metals vulnerable to corrosion due to acidic pizza condiments (like mustard, catsup, sugar, some tomatoes, etc.). So, it is better that you always clean your teeth and braces after eating.
Some condiments with low acidity include San Marzano canned tomatoes, Basil and oregano leaves, and baking soda.
7. Floss after eating
Flossing your teeth after eating pizza (or any food) protects your braces and teeth. You may also utilize a toothpick to clean the food debris in between them. Also, brush your teeth frequently.
Which Types of Pizzas Should You Avoid With Braces?
Here are the pizzas you should avoid when your braces are newly tightened or freshly bracketed.
1. Firm bread or rigid crust
Chewing hard bread or firm crust may enhance the stress on your teeth, which may loosen the brackets. So, it is better to avoid crispy and overcooked thin crust.
2. Raw and hard Vegetables
Toppings like raw vegetables or fruits (like pineapple) are hard to chew. They can even make you bite with a lot of teeth effort.
Once you bite and chew with more resistance, the brackets or archwires may break. It is better to cook the veggies well to make them soft.
Some meats like beef and mutton may not treat your braces the way you expect them to be. But their meats are fibrous, which makes them hard to chew. Moreover, tough cuts have difficulty chewing: they may unfasten the bands surrounding your molars.
4. Crispy chicken
Crunchy chicken also poses a problem when eating pizza with braces. It can bend the wires, loosen the bands, and knock off the brackets of the braces.
5. Sticky or hard cheese
When you have braces avoid sticky and hard foods like cheese in pizza. These foods may cling to the braces and may cause damage to the chain elastics and other weak parts. The stickiness of cheese may also impair the wires and brackets.
Some of the hard cheeses are the Parmigiano-Reggiano or the Pecorino varieties.
6. High-acid condiments
Acidic pizza condiments like tomato sauce, mustard, and ketchup are a treat to the metals in braces. They become more hazardous to the braces when consuming too much pizza daily. Try to avoid these condiments whenever you can.
Pizza Eating Tips When You Have Braces
- Look for soft and small toppings: cooked vegetables are recommendable. Keep away from charred Pepperoni and solid and sticky toppings.
- Stay away from the thin crust that is crunchy and crispy.
- Eat in tiny pieces and use a fork and knife to make them small.
- Clean, brush or floss your teeth after eating.
Foods You Can Still Eat With Braces
- Soft foods (not sticky).
- Non or low-acidic fruits
- Fish, poultry, and tenderized meats.
- Steamed and soft vegetables
- Cookies and crackers (light)
Foods You Should Avoid
- Bagels and other crispy bread.
- Chewy candy or hard sweets
- Ice (shredded or not)
- Nuts, seeds, or brittle beans
- Raw veggies
- Sugary gums and drinks
- Hard and crunchy foods
1. Is eating pizza in the first week of my braces acceptable?
No. You better not eat pizza on the first week of your braces. During this time, the braces are still prone to damage.
2. Does pizza harm and break my braces?
Yes, pizza can do a lot of bad things to your braces. The brittle crust and hard-to-eat toppings may damage your braces if you are not careful.
3. Does pizza get stuck in your braces?
Yes, it does, especially the hard, fibrous, and sticky pizza debris.
4. How to fix pizza on braces?
Floss your teeth and braces immediately after eating pizza. You can also brush them carefully if you can.
5. Can you eat pizza rolls with braces?
You cannot: pizza rolls are too crispy. They may do damage to your braces.
6. Can you eat pepperoni pizza with braces?
Certainly! You can eat pepperoni pizza while on braces, but do not eat the crust, especially if it is too crunchy.
7. Can you eat Domino’s pizza with braces?
Yes. You can eat Domino’s pizza, but avoid the crust and be aware of the chewy and sticky toppings.
8. Can you eat frozen pizza with braces?
Frozen pizza is usually crispier. So, be careful with the hard toppings and the crunchy crust.
9. Can you eat Totino’s pizza with braces?
Totino pizzas have some of the most delicious pie crusts. You can eat this pizza but steer clear of its firm crust and hard toppings.
10. Can you eat thin crust pizza with braces?
Yes, you can do that! However, as we have reiterated before, avoid the thin crust when it is crunchy.
11. Can you eat chips with braces?
We suggest that you rather not eat chips when you have braces. Chips (like Fritos, Doritos, Cheetos, etc.) are crunchy foods. They may break or damage your braces’ brackets and wires.
12. Can you eat fries with braces?
Yes, you can eat fries with braces, but with exceptions. Do not eat those that are too salty and crispy. Too much salt may also be harmful to your braces.
13. Can you eat burgers with braces?
Yes, you can eat burgers with braces. But bite into small pieces and chew the burger slowly.
Here is how to eat blaze pizza with braces:
So, can you eat pizza with braces? Yes! You certainly can, as long as you avoid crusts and toppings that are too tough. Also, give something amiss from sticky or stringy toppings and eat in small but careful bites.
There is nothing that can stop you from eating your favorite pizza! Even if you have braces! However, always observe the ways to minimize the dangers. Also, habitually keep an eye on these unwritten rules.
Latest posts by Jamie Guerin (see all)
- Can You Eat Pizza With Braces? Tips And Tricks To Eat Pizza Properly - July 29, 2022
- What Does Red Bull Taste Like ? - July 22, 2022
- The 10 Best Deep Dish Pizza Pans In 2022 - July 15, 2022